Synergistic Governance: Accompaniment Program
This program will create a synergistic relationship between Directors General and their elected officials. Included in this program is the clarification of roles and responsibilities of all parties and a keen understanding of the legal actions required of the council of trustees/commissioners and the management team. It is a pairing of two key elements: training of the elected officials to master the following 5 disciplines of synergistic governance and matching it to the leadership team’s approach.
- Group cohesion: maintaining a high level of cohesion amongst board members as well as with the management team
- Organizational clarity: Maintain clarity about the 6 key questions:
- Why do we exist?
- How do we behave?
- What do we do?
- How will we succeed?
- What is most important right now?
- Who must do what?
- Active Participation: Understanding the complementary roles of the board members
- Monitoring: Understanding accountability, legal and financial responsibilities
- Efficiency and functionality: implementing effective meetings structures
This program includes the following components:
- Initial meeting to plan out the timeline
- Training: 5 disciplines of synergistic governance for all administrators and governance members
- Review of all corporate documents of the organization
- Assessment of governance tasks and responsibilities through survey
- Review and adjustment of governance calendar
- Implementation of strategies and tools according to needs
- Training: strategic approach to different types of meetings and how to keep meetings effective
- Accompaniment during meetings
To facilitate a more efficient governance team, we use the following tools to improve your practice and help you become a synergistic governance team quickly:
- A model for effective meetings – tactical versus strategic
- Governance calendar
- Animate a work retreat
- Pyramid of collaboration and group cohesiveness
- Statutes, Regulations, Policy and Standard Administrative Guidelines
This accompanying program ensures that you comply with the fiduciary responsibilities imposed by Canadian legislation as it applies to not-for-profit organizations. It will also allow you to maximize the impact and results of your organization through high-level collaboration between senior management and the council of elected officials or board of directors. Follow this link for more information.